Covid-19 Information

COVID-19 Safety

Critical information to help teachers navigate COVID-19 safety

We will be posting updates and information as they become available, so please check back here often. If you have any questions, please contact us at

Protocols for K-12 Schools:

Additional Resources:

Leaves Related to COVID-19

In addition to the regular leaves in the Collective Agreement, members may be entitled to access the following two COVID-19 leaves. Please contact the GVTA for additional advice.

Worksafe Claims

If you test positive for COVID-19, we recommend that you submit a claim for compensation to WorkSafeBC. You can make a WorkSafe claim using Form 6 - Application for Compensation and Report of Injury or Occupational Disease or by phoning 1-888-967-5377. You can contact the GVTA for specific advice.

COVID-19 Emergency Fund

In the 2020-21 year, the GVTA negotiated an agreement with the District regarding the previous year's unused remedy. Part of that agreement involved having funds transferred to the GVTA for the purpose of a COVID-19 Emergency Fund.

The Fund is administered by a GVTA COVID-19 Emergency Fund Committee as follows:

  1. The Committee shall be comprised of the members of the GVTA Benevolent Fund Committee, plus the First Vice President and the Contract Chair. The President shall chair the committee.

  2. Any active member of the GVTA may make direct application to the Committee by contacting the President, who will forward the request to the Committee. The Committee will investigate all requests, and a majority vote will decide if leave or funds are allocated, and the amount. The President will communicate the decision to the member.

  3. GVTA members may apply to receive up to three days paid leave for an emergent situation directly related to COVID-19, when no other paid leave is available to them. If a member uses the GVTA Emergency COVID-19 release code but does not have approval from the GVTA, the leave will be changed to unpaid.

  4. GVTA members may apply to receive up to $2000 in a no interest loan or a non-repayable grant, when financial assistance is required due to COVID-19 and all other means of financial assistance have been exhausted.

  5. The Committee will report expenditures to date to the GVTA Executive Committee at each meeting, and to the Annual General meeting, indicating the amount of the leave, loan or grant, while keeping the recipient’s identity confidential.

  6. The COVID-19 Emergency Fund and Committee terms shall expire December 31, 2021, unless renewed by the GVTA Executive Committee.