Worksafe Claims

If you are injured at work or have symptoms of a work-related illness - even if you are not seeking a compensation claim - observe the following steps:

  1. Report the injury to your school Administration, as soon as practicable. A simple email or note is adequate. They are required to use these reports in discussions with the school Health & Safety Committee, with identifying information removed.

  2. Report the injury to the first aid attendant, if applicable.

  3. Seek medical attention, if required, and tell your doctor your injury is work related. The employer is responsible for your transportation costs from your workplace to a doctor’s office or hospital.

  4. Complete Form 6A - Workers’ Report of Injury or Occupational Disease to Employer and submit to the employer.

  5. If you miss work or seek medical attention, be sure to submit a claim for compensation to WorkSafeBC. You can make a WorkSafe claim using Form 6 - Application for Compensation and Report of Injury or Occupational Disease or by phoning 1-888-967-5377.

  6. The GVTA and BCTF can assist with your WorkSafeBC claim. Please contact the GVTA office if you have questions or concerns.

  7. If you disagree with a WorkSafeBC decision, you have the right to ask for a review. Please contact the BCTF WCB Advocate for assistance and advice.